Thursday 4 October 2007

Why I Want to Work In Vietnam

I have spent many years working with computers, and I'm good at it, but that doesn't mean that it's right for me. Once I started to get involved with IT training I realised that teaching is something that gives me great satisfaction. There is something very appealing about passing on knowledge to others, and to see them utilising this new found knowledge productively.

Vietnam is a country that I know relatively little about, but I feel drawn towards it. I feel that the best way to experience another culture it to take part in it as much as possible. It's all very well and good going to a country as a tourist, but that only gives you a limited view. I am a very open minded and curious person, and enjoy meeting new challenges and discovering new ways of life. On my first visit to an Eastern country, I was taken aback by how different things were from home. It was hard to put my finger on exactly what it was that made the Eastern way of life so so different from my own. However, whilst the culture may have been very different, the people were the same. They all wanted a roof over their head, they all wanted to eat well, and they all wanted to be successful in life. From that moment on, I knew that I was an explorer at heart. My aim is to spend time here, getting to know the people, the culture and contributing in some small way. Teaching English in a foreign country is a great way to learn the true essence of its culture and people.